ISO 20000-1:2018 Service Management System
ISO/IEC 20000 is the first international standard for IT service management (ITSM). IT service management (ITSM) is a discipline for managing information technology (IT) systems, from the customer’s perspective of IT’s contribution to the business. ITSM stands in deliberate contrast to technology-centred approaches to IT management and business interaction.
ISO 20000 describes an integrated set of management processes for the effective delivery of services to the business and its customers, and also defines a set of controls against which an organisation can be assessed for effective service management, with the aim of developing and delivering high quality technology services.
Customers are becoming ever more sophisticated, better informed and their expectations are continuously growing. For any business, the only way to keep ahead is to provide a better level of service than the competition. But how can you demonstrate this to your customers?
One way is to consider implementing an IT Service Management system that meets the requirements of an internationally recognized standard — ISO 20000. Choosing this approach means that you can apply for an independent certification body to assess the system and confirm that your IT Service Management is effective and uses best practice principles.
Implementation of ISO 20000 brings with it many benefits:
– Creates competitive advantage via the promotion of consistent and cost-effective services.
– More efficient use of resources for service provision leading to cost reductions.
– Lower incident volumes, faster incident resolution and less business disruption because of service failures.
– Alignment of information technology services and business strategy.
– The creation of a consistent approach that facilitates organizational change.
– Reduced risk of not being able to meet business objectives and Service Level Agreement targets.
– Higher customer satisfaction and improved reputation.
– A continuous improvement in the quality of IT services.
The methodology adopted by us is as below:
Gap Analysis and Audits
An evaluation of your current capabilities against the standard.
Mentoring and Implementation Support
Use our expertise to advise and guide your organization through the changes.
In-house training courses and workshops to help staff understand the changes required, including preparing key staff to be able to perform the required regular internal audits.
Most service organizations will already have in place many of the attributes of ISO 20000, however, they need to be reviewed against the standard to ensure they are consistent, effective and embrace best practice principles. As with most standards, there is an inherent synergy between ISO 20000 and other Management Systems
Organizations which have implemented these systems will already have addressed some of the areas covered by ISO 20000 and will find implementation easier by:
• identifying opportunities for improvement;
• prioritising IT improvements to achieve the greatest business impact, without pushing you towards particular technologies;
• bringing a clear focus to your ITSM/ITIL® project based on our real-world experience to ensure that you stay on track;
• building a convincing business case for ITSM/ITIL with the board;
• avoiding the pitfalls (and there are plenty that you need to be aware of);
• implementing truly efficient supporting processes that deliver well-defined results and are right for the way your organisation works;
• introducing metrics that will clearly demonstrate your success.